Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

And the award goes to...

ME!!!
What award, you ask?
Why, it's for something that I am better at than anyone else. I can confidently say that I am extremely proficient in this matter. I truly believe no one else is better than I am at this particular skill.

I can, wait for it...
Procrastinate better. Than anyone. In the world universe.
It's a skill that I've honed over many years filled with long nights, early mornings, cramped typing fingers, and puffy bags under my eyes. 
I've always gotten good grades- mostly A's with a couple of B's sprinkled in here and there- but I've never been a particularly good student. Things have always come easy for me. I can take a test and ace it without studying. I can write a solid book report without ever having read the book. I'm pretty sure I don't remember anything I learned in high school.
I got a little bit better in college. Just a little. But once I entered graduate school, all bets were off. I'll give myself this- I've been working full time and coaching year round the entire time I've been in graduate school. My free time was precious, so I reached the peak of my talent in grad school.
I thought I had peaked when I had to write a paper for my Sport Psych class that I didn't even start until 9:00 pm the night before it was due. (America's Next Top Model was on, so sue me!) Now I'm pretty sure my record is when I didn't even start a take home final for my Sport Nutrition until 4:00 am the morning it was due. That one was Brian's fault- it was when we first met and we were talking on the phone until like 2:00 or something... and I needed to get a couple hours of sleep. I may be breaking this record soon. And on a whole new level.


I put off my last semester (the thesis writing semester) because I had things that I felt were higher on my priority list. Like getting married. But in the meantime, tuition is going up (like, more than doubled since I started my degree) and I want this off my mind to move up on the pay scale. It's now or never.

So a year since I last picked up any of my research and I'm finally in my last semester of this dang program, totally lost on where I left off. I've been trying to get organized so I can in turn get to writing. But as we're heading closer to the end of October and I've done close to nothing towards completion, I felt today was the day I needed to light a fire under my own butt.

I tried emailing my advisers to get some kind of direction, but that of course didn't help anything. So I looked at the website to find that I need to make an appointment for something called a Thesis Preliminary Formatting. WTF is this and why has nobody mentioned it to me before??? I have until November 18th to complete this. Freakin' fabulous.

So I call the number they give and reach a very nice and helpful lady who helped me make an appointment and gave me clear guidelines on what I would need to have ready for that date. A stranger, with nothing invested in me or my education, helped me in less than 5 minutes. The people who are supposed to be helping me are vague and anti-helpful. 

Anyway, when the nice lady asked what date I had in mind, I decided to do it on November 7th. That's like, 2 weeks away. 17 days, to be exact. I picked that date because I have some pretty exciting things going on in November and I want to just enjoy them stress-free.

Oh, and by the time I go to this appointment, I'm supposed to have my thesis written. Like, finished and ready for final corrections. Hmmmphghsahjvcalasoichoivco.

So my dining room table currently looks like this:
  The carrots are for Kevin. I prefer chocolate.

Coffee might be my savior for the next couple of weeks. Basically, I'm combining 3 years of research and classes and articles and literature reviews and power points into the longest paper of my life in two weeks. And obviously, I've currently pushed all of that to the side while I write this. (Procrastination at it's finest! Because Facebook is so 2010.)

The anxiety makes my skin crawl. I apologize in advance to anyone I come across in the next 2 weeks because my bitchiness may go off the scale.
********************************************
On a lighter note, BFF/Maid of Honor Alexis got me a pretty rad birthday gift.
Isn't that the cutest?? I was so excited when I opened it. I wanted to hang it in the perfect spot. I was thinking here:
because it's the first thing you see when you walk through the front door. Unfortunately, it was too tall to fit there, so it settled into a spot over the front door.
I love it. It makes me smile every time I see it! Thank you Alexis!

Off to go write while the husband watches Thor cuddle with Brian and Kevin while we watch Thor together!

No comments:

Post a Comment